Thursday 8 October 2009

Planet Terror

On a high from the thrills of Zombieland, I decided to hunt down a zom com which i had not yet seen (I've seen Shaun Of The Dead way too many times), thus I stumbled upon this gem in HMV, Robert Rodriguez's Planet Terror starring Freddy Rodriguez and Rose McGowan, both of which I've never seen before in a movie, are both fine but not fantastic in their roles, although McGowan is given a hell of a final action scene, the rest of the cast are made up of extended cameos by cult icons, like Josh Brolin (Llewellyn Moss from No Country For Old Men), Michael Biehn (Kyle Reese from The Terminator), Jeff Fahey, Naveen Andrews (Sayid from Lost), Bruce Willis, Danny Trejo and Quentin Tarantino as Rapist No. 1, Naveen and Biehn fare the most as they are both incredibly cool and Tarantino has the best death scene.
The film is much like an old cheap zombie movie from the 60s or 70s, unapologetically violent, a bit twisted and with the really cool idea of having a gun for a leg.
Rodriguez's films usually split me, while I think Sin City is a masterpiece and The Faculty is good fun, Desperado, Spy Kids & Once Upon A Time In Mexico underwhelm me considerably, but this film is just a hell of a time, it was obviously made on the cheap and it shows but that's part of it's charm, on the downside the plot doesn't fully make sense I still don't know why there are zombies and some of the talking goes on a bit long but overall a fun, if dispensable film with a cracking score

No comments:

Post a Comment